Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Magnificent Seven (1960)




It is probably not fair to say, but this is certainly no Seven Samurai. There are some similarities, though. Aside from the plot, of course, there is the way both films lean heavily on their actors' charisma—and in both cases, there's plenty to lean on. That's probably, in fact, the only thing this one has on its predecessor. Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen, backed by the likes of Eli Wallach, Charles Bronson, and James Coburn? Yeah, personality's not going to be an issue.

For me, though, it wasn't quite enough to support it. The cast exuded cool, in the "not warm" sense of the word. Horst Buchholz' Kikuchiyo Chico is the greatest exception, of course. But honestly, I thought Wallach was the most impressive presence in the film. I have to admit, I wasn't excited at the prospect of watching a Brooklyn Jew play the most significant Mexican character, but I was pleasantly surprised. He didn't strain himself to find authenticity, but did create a complex, rather menacing character. He really felt like the balancing point for the film, and I was glad to see him get more screen time than I remember for his Japanese counterpart.

Review after review of this film describes it as "a lot of fun," or some more masculine equivalent of that. All of which is probably true, if icy cool is your preferred shade of manhood. (For my part, I would rather watch Kelly's Heroes.) Sorry if I spend too much time comparing it to its Japanese predecessor, but honestly, if it didn't have that connection, it would just be another Western. I'm sure I never would have seen it. Still, it's a movie that knows where it's going, and manages to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment