Saturday, January 1, 2011

They is, they is, they is . . .

It wasn't my first choice for a title, nor was it my second, third, or fifteenth. But I'm about 5 or 10 years late to the blogging party, and all the names I wanted have been taken. I have to admit, though, that I'm pretty happy with the name I did stumble across. "Bullet in the Brain" is the title of a Tobias Wolff story from The Night in Question. It is the story of a savage literary critic who gets shot in the head, and among other things, comes to remember what he loved about language in the first place. Obviously I don't expect (or, I hope, need) anything so dramatic. But (1) it's a great story, and (b) the name is at least a bit apropos. And at least as importantly, it wasn't taken.
_____________________________

This blog represents my intention to fulfill a year-old resolution. At the beginning of 2010, I decided to start writing regular album reviews. It is now New Year's 2011, and I'm finally started. I have this unattainable idea in my head that I'll review an album every week. Frankly, though, if at the end of the year I've reviewed 25 of them, I'll be happy with that. Along the way I'll probably post on other random things as well: movies that I've seen, TV shows that we're watching (we have a tendency to discover shows and then watch them in marathons a season or two at a time), etc.

As far as my musical taste, probably the best thing I can do is point you towards my last.fm profile. That will give you the best idea of what I've been listening to lately, and a pretty decent sense of what I listen to overall. Of course, I'm hoping that the contents of this blog will do the same thing, if not quite as concisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment